Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Do You Eat Your Burn?

Ah the great debate on calorie intake vs. calories burned.

My fit pal has me set at 1300 cal a day, which I haven't figured out how to eat that even if I eat no meat or bread, so I try to shoot for 1600...but I also eat a good bit of my calories burned. On BIG run days I feel like I am starving. Even with a good breakfast before I hit the gym. I am in the market for a good heart rate monitor so I know EXACTLY what I am burning. For now I enter my weight and age into the machine, and then subtract about 20%, I usually burn between 750-900 calories at the gym in an hour so after you take away the 20% for the inaccuracy 600-720. So that boost me right back to eating a 2000 calorie day. According to dailycaloriecount.com, putting in that I am doing light activity (which really prior to last Thursday I was more like sedentary)  but I wanted to make sure I was getting the most realistic look possible  SO to maintain they say I need to consume about 2450 a day. They tell you to shoot for a 500 reduction in calorie intake a day to lose a lb per week so I would be close to that. At moderate activity, it has my calories around 2750 and another site said I needed to eat 3000 a day to maintain my 225lb status. So either way 2000 is less, so for that I am glad.

Now here is the great debate. Some people say why would you eat your burn when you are trying to lose? Doesn't that negate the point? While others would say you should eat your burn because you are already at a deficient becasue of the burn. So technically I am still only eating 1300 calories a day to live on, and that I ate the additional 800 to replenish my body from the workout. I am sure if I only ate the 1300 a day I would drop a lot more, a lot faster, but I can't seem to get anywhere near that number. My goal would be to keep it around 1600 and not eat all my burn, but I am not quite there either. For now I am satisfied that I am staying close to the calorie allotment with working out. I think I ideally shooting to eat half of my calorie burn would be a good goal. Maybe that will be what I shoot for next week.

No movement on the scale. Pretty sad about that. Almost went to the gym again tonight becasue I was upset with a friend, will share that tomorrow, but I didn't one workout a day is all I think I have the energy for right now. Had one beer Monday after the National Championship game, seriously best beer of my life. Really think my body is missing salt, beer is actually good for replenishing runners. Sounds wired but it is. Food is so so, I think I have a new addiction to granola. Bought another box today and really wish I hadn't. I got it to make it like dessert when I eat yogurt  but I end up just eating it and it really isn't low in calories but it is soo good but I am think I will not get any more of that. Need to add in more fruit. Maybe add to the grocery list buy frozen fruit. Love a fruit smoothie.

Random Thought: Sunday night we went to a Mexican restaurant for dinner with friends. I only had 3 chips, drank water, and you really can eat there without having a margarita =) I did finish off my plate of fajitas (without eating the tortillas) but the not eating chips was HUGE and I will take the little success.

~Till Later

3 comments:

  1. This debate is something I struggle with as well. I guess it is all about testing it and seeing what works best

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohh what a great debate. I personally do not eat my exercise calories (most days....I'll admit that some days I do scarf them down). That said, I have a friend that eats each and every exercise calorie that she burns...and licks the plate that holds those exercise calories. We both have had success at weight loss with our individual approaches. I think that it depends on the individual and how that body works. It works for her to eat them....it doesn't for me and vice versus.

    MPF has me set at 1300 calories also. I find that I can eat pretty decently within that range (I eat a LOT of fruit and veggies) and I'm not hungry. It's working for my body......what you are doing is working for your body. That's the beauty of life! :-)

    MY concern are these people out there that you read their blogs or talk to them and they are eating and apple for breakfast, a banana for lunch and a 5 ounce piece of chicken for dinner with a clementine. Seriously! A gal at my zumba class actually told me that was her daily menu. That scares me.....it's too little, she's not properly fueling her body! You and I may be divergent in thinking, but we are on the RIGHT path!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DO you mind maybe emailing some of the foods you eat and how? I am really struggling with the calories on there and I would LOVE some examples =)
      Thank you!

      Delete