Saturday, July 28, 2012

Beach Run 2012

Well, FYI running in the sand is not as much fun as it sounds. Oh sure the ocean is beautiful, the sun is great, and don't forget that fantastic breeze you will have during the whole race!

=p I stick my tongue out at the above statement! Today's IOP (Isle of Palms) Beach Run 10k had all of those things but this is what it was really like. Don't forget the sand, that although is  hard due to low tide, will soften as the race goes on, so the slower you are the softer the sand will be on your way to the finish line. The sun will beat down on your face as you start running towards the East in the beginning of the race. You will pray for a breeze as the sweat rolls into your eyes. As you make the turn to loop back to the finish line (side note:I hate loop races) you will finally find that breeze you wanted. It will be a heavy wind that you will run against all the way to the finish line.

=/ so needless to say I did not have the run I had hoped for today. It wasn't bad. I finished in 1:17:02. Which is 10min faster then the last time I ran a 10k in March 2011. But I was hoping for a finish at 1:10:00 or below.  I have been running nothing but 10k's at the gym, every other day for the last several weeks and gotten my pace and finish down below 1:05:00, so I was pretty hopeful. But given the 90 degree heat, the beating sun, the wind, and the all important to note SAND I will take what I got.

I have decided not to run a race in August =/ its just too hot. Not to mention the Half Marathon is 5 weeks away and I just don't want to risk getting hurt, or stressing myself to much. I am starting to freak out about it though. Today would have been close to one half of a half marathon (lol that is confusing). I was really hoping for a 2:30:00 or less finish this year. I finished last year at 3:06:?? not really sure. but I know the hr and minute. I really wanted to finish under 3 and came so close. I really want to finish under 2:30 this year, but I am starting to realize that I should just go for what I can do and not get upset with myself if I don't hit that goal. It is so hard for me though. I am such a competitive person that I feel like I am pushing and pushing and pushing and just not gaining much ground. Oh well, at least I am doing it right?

LOL well, I am back down to 204. I am probably UP 2 or 3 since I weighed in this am (that was after the race but I had also downed 2 powerades so who knows) anyway I then was too tired to care what I ate and we had pizza for lunch =/ I am doing my best to stay low carb but it is hard considering I desperately need to go to the grocery store. But I am not going to let having pizza for lunch get me un focused. I am determined to get some weight off and go to the half marathon weighing in at 195 or less. That would be 41 lbs less then last year.

So this next week I am picking it up. No more "off" days from the gym. I will run/elliptical train 5-6 days a week. (I've been just running most of the summer every other day and not going to the gym in between).

Ok well, I think that is enough of a book for tonight. Here is a pic in one of my new "shirts" I wrote about a few weeks ago, I seriously LOVE them =)

~Till Later

1 comment:

  1. Running on uneven surfaces is soooo different than outside. And on the sand?? I say good job!

    You'll blast right by 195 in time for the race, no doubt about it.

    ReplyDelete